Wednesday 14 March 2012

Why James Whittaker Left Google

Original post here:

The Google I was passionate about was a technology company that empowered its employees to innovate. The Google I left was an advertising company with a single corporate-mandated focus. 

Technically I suppose Google has always been an advertising company, but for the better part of the last three years, it didn’t feel like one. Google was an ad company only in the sense that a good TV show is an ad company: having great content attracts advertisers.

...

The days of old Google hiring smart people and empowering them to invent the future was gone. The new Google knew beyond doubt what the future should look like. Employees had gotten it wrong and corporate intervention would set it right again.

This somehow resonates with me. Sometimes one really feels it is time to move on.
Money is important, but at least as important is whether you love what you are doing. Whether you are passionate and impatient to go to do your job in the best possible way. Or you just float adrift day after day.

I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.