Monday 1 October 2012

Game Over for Desktops

Jeff Atwood mainly agrees with MG Siegler the PC is over.

Desktops, on the other hand, are perfectly justifiable. That is, if you want three monitors, eight blazingly fast CPU cores, 64 GB of memory, and fire-breathing multi-GPU configurations. If you need absurd, obscene amounts of power, a desktop computer is the way to go. And it's probably cheaper than you think, because desktops are all built from the same interchangeable pool of parts. It's also a lot more fun than laptops, because willingness to tinker combined with lust for ostentatious power is the essence of hot rodding.

Yeah, once Steve Jobs famously compared PCs to trucks (and he was right). Now Jeff Atwood goes on to say the desktops are like hot rods.

This is a very accurate depiction of the things indeed. As personal computers (unless you are some sort of addicted enthusiast) the desktops are dead. Not yet actually. But the end is coming.

I am not a gamer. But because I am a code monkey I spend like 10 to 12 hours a day in front of the screen. 100% of this time is divided between my MacBook Air (mid-2011 model) and my HP ProBook (which I actually don't like quite much... well... I actually hate this thing but that's another story). Both of these are laptops (well, well, you're right -- an ultrabook and a laptop, yeah) and they fit my work needs perfectly well.

I haven't touched a desktop machine for years. If you don't count the occasional (usually remote) configurations and other tasks I am doing on various servers.

Over? Not quite yet. But coming.